Now that we’re halfway through the year, bodybuilders everywhere are in search of high-calorie meals to help them bulk up in the winter. The thought of eating more food may seem exciting at first. But you’ll soon realize that it gets boring eating the same food every couple of hours, especially when you’re clean bulking. With a little creativity and proper meal prepping, you can easily make delicious, healthy high-calorie meals.
7 Delicious High-Calorie Meals for Muscle Mass
1. One-Pot Chili Pasta
Looking for a loaded dish without skimping on the flavor? This hearty One Pot Chili Pasta will help you reach your fitness goals. It’s loaded with protein from the beef, carbs from the pasta, and healthy fats that your body will thank you for. Here’s what you need to bring this bulking recipe come to life:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, medium-size, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 15 oz can diced tomato
- 15 oz can black beans
- 15 oz can kidney beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup shredded cheese
1. Put the olive oil in a large pot and add the onion and garlic. Use medium heat for about 1 to 2 minutes. Once garlic is soft and onion is transparent, add the ground beef and stir until it is completely browned.
2. Put the chili powder and flour into the pot. Stir continuously until the meat is coated. Do note that the flour and chili might settle at the bottom of the pot, it is okay as long as it does not burn.
3. Take the black and kidney beans and rinse. Drain properly, and then add the beans into the pot together with the diced tomato, tomato sauce, and corn kernels. Make sure to stir well until the flour and chili mixture has dissolved completely.
4. Add the beef broth and macaroni. Stir to combine and then cover the pot. Put the heat to high and let it boil. Once it is boiling, stir gently to prevent the macaroni from sticking at the bottom of the pot. Cover again, but use medium to low heat now.
5. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the macaroni is soft. Don’t forget to stir the mixture to loosen the macaroni again.
6. Once cooked, add the cheese and turn off the heat. Stir to mix the cheese with the pasta and until the cheese has completely melted. Your chili pasta should look a bit creamier now.
7. Transfer onto a plate and serve hot.
2. Mass Gainers and Protein Shakes
View this post on Instagram
Training is hard. Getting the right supplements should be easy. – – – – – PROTEIN + HEALTH was intentionally crafted to help the athlete in all of us return to training faster. Here’s how… • Increased Strength & Muscle Repair: 25g of New Zealand Grass-Fed Whey Protein for muscle protein synthesis. • Decreased Inflammation: FruiteX-B® for joint discomfort, flexibility, and heightened inflammatory response. • Improved Immunity: IgY Max® for stimulating the growth of beneficial gut bacteria for optimal gut health. • Digestive Benefits: DigeZyme® digestive enzymes for improved digestive health and reduced DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). #Evertrain
We understand that some of us don’t have the luxury of whipping up a dish that takes around an hour to prepare. For athletes who are always on the go, you can still get your daily dose of protein and carbs from mass gainers and protein shakes. One serving typically has around 250 grams of carbohydrates, 60 grams of protein, and 8 grams of fat.
3. Beef Steak
Steak is a bodybuilder’s best friend. Apart from being delicious, it provides all the necessary nutrients needed to promote muscle growth. In fact, each slab of meat contains around 320 calories, 35 grams of protein, and 15 grams of fat. Additionally, it’s worth noting that each pound of beef has around 5 grams of creatine. When bulking, it’s important to take in sufficient amounts of creatine for increased muscle mass and strength. With all the nutrients packed into one serving, a slab of beef steak is more than enough to fuel your muscles.
4. Toast and Avocado
If you’re looking for something light and hearty, then try an avocado-filled sandwich. While it doesn’t have enough protein content, it is, however, loaded with healthy fats and minerals. Each sandwich provides around 35 grams of fat and 15 grams of carbohydrates, as well as sodium and vitamin A. An avocado toast sandwich is a perfect breakfast or midday snack.
Peanuts are probably one of the most convenient high-calorie snacks you can eat. In fact, you don’t need to prepare anything. Simply buy a pack of these bite-sized protein monsters and bring them around with you. Each serving has around 21 grams of carbohydrates, 23 grams of protein, 38 grams of carbs, and 550 calories.
Tip: If your diet requires fasting, you can eat peanuts to satiate your hunger. These high-calorie meals are a healthy alternative to chips, candy, and other processed foods.
6. Chicken/Beef Pesto
This is a versatile dish perfect for both lunch and dinner. If you know your way around the kitchen, then whip up a bowl of delicious chicken/beef pesto. Pasta alone is a good source of carbohydrates. If you add pesto to it, you’ll get sufficient amounts of healthy fats. Lastly, you can’t forget about protein. You can use either chicken or beef as your source of protein for this dish.
7. French Toast
The French toast is one of the easiest high-calorie meals to prepare. Each egg-covered slice of bread only takes around 3 minutes to prepare. Despite the minimal preparation, each slice already contains around 235 calories, 30 grams of carbs, 35 grams of fat, and 15 grams of protein. A slice or two is the perfect way to start your day.
Check out Protein + Health in this video:
Stacking up on protein, healthy fats, and carbohydrates is the secret to building quality muscle and strength. When looking for high-calorie meals, you must still stay away from sugary processed foods. Clean bulking is a great way to pack on serious lean muscle while keeping your body fat to a minimum. To make the most of the nutrients in these bulking meals, practice proper meal prepping and do heavy, intense workouts.
What are your favorite high-calorie meals? Share the recipe in the comments section below!