Are zucchini burrito boats your favorite? Check out our recipe that’s made easier and healthier for you! The “more protein, fewer carbs” ingredients keep you on the right track with your caloric intake requirements. This recipe is so easy to make, too. Keep reading to know how you can create these healthy and flavorful zucchini burrito boats.
Healthy High Protein Low Carb Southwest Zucchini Boats
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monterey cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup corn
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 4 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and score zucchini like dicing an avocado. Scoop out the insides and place them in a large bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion for 5 minutes until soft. Stir in garlic and cook for a minute (or more) until it’s fragrant. Add ground beef and break it up using a wooden spoon. Cook the beef for 6 minutes, until it’s not pink anymore. Drain the fat.
- Stir in paprika, cumin, and chili powder and season the mixture with pepper and salt. Stir in corn, cherry tomatoes, and black beans after.
- Spoon the beef mixture from the skillet, place in the zucchini, and then top it with cheese. Bake the boats for 15 minutes until they’re tender and the cheese melts. Garnish the boats with cilantro before serving.
Ingredient Bodybuilding Benefits
Some of the ingredients are worth noting for their bodybuilding benefits. Beef is one. It has high levels of creatine responsible for improved strength and promotion of muscle growth. Creatine is also the source of the muscle’s fuel for the first few seconds of your workout. It lets you train harder for a longer period because it replenishes adenosine triphosphate.
Beef is also packed with protein, and we all know how important protein is for muscle growth. The nutrient is made of amino acids which are your muscles’ building blocks. The amount of protein you’ll get from beef depends on the cut you’ll choose. You can select the round cut as it contains the highest protein with less fat. So, if you’re doing intense training sessions, you’ll need more protein.
It may not be known to everyone, but black beans have a significant role to play in your bodybuilding activity. Its dark coating is rich in malvidin, delphinidin, and petunidin, flavonoids that provide antioxidant activities. Antioxidants are essential to reduce the free radical damage caused by an increased use of oxygen from workouts.
Cherry tomatoes are great for bodybuilders who aim to lose weight. They make you feel full without taking in too many calories. The veggie is also rich in fiber, which is needed for a faster metabolism. It’s primarily a two-in-one vegetable you shouldn’t miss in your diet. Ground cumin is also another ingredient for metabolism. It’s popular for aiding indigestion and even boosting normal digestion.
With our Zucchini Burrito Boats recipe, you’re sure to add this to your weekly rotation diet! It’s not only packed with protein and other nutritional ingredients, but it’s also delicious enough to let you enjoy your meal. Make this recipe at home now and have fun with every bite without worrying about the calories!
Have you ever tried making Zucchini Burrito Boats? Let us know in the comments section!