Say goodbye to those chicken legs and add these routines to your leg day workout regimen!
9 Must-Try Leg Day Workout Routines to Build Leg Muscles
1. Leg Day Workout
This workout will basically help you create symmetry and build lean muscle mass on your legs.
- Full Barbell Squats (4 sets of 6 reps): For hip flexibility and leg extension
- Leg Lunges (3 sets of 8 reps each leg): Stretches the back sides of the thigh and extends and flexes the hip joints and knees
- Calf Raises (4 sets of 10 reps): For ankle extension and lower leg flexibility
- Leg Press (4 sets of 10 reps): Stretches the upper and lower legs and flexes the knees
2. The Leg Burner Workout
This next leg workout for your leg day will only take 15-20 minutes of your time, so be sure to put an effort in stretching those legs. Doing this workout will help strengthen your glutes, calves, cores, and hamstrings so better try this now.
- Deadlift Reach
- Side Lunges
- Drop Lunges
- Box Jumps
- Squat Jumps
- Hip Raise
Note: This workout challenges you to do as many reps as you can within 15-20 minutes. Try this twice-thrice a week.
3. Ultimate Leg Day Challenge
This is a hardcore leg day workout that’s ideal for those who are up for the challenge. This workout will test your stamina and lower body power, so you better prep yourself well enough before you start.
- Box Squats: 30 reps/minute in 10 minutes
- Split Squats: 5 sets of 15 reps per side
- Box Squat Jumps: 10 reps/minute in 10 minutes
- Split Squat Jumps: 5 sets of 10 reps per side
- One-Leg Box Squats (alternate): 10 minutes of alternating your legs
4. Quad Workout
The next leg day workout is composed of quick movements that aim to obliterate your quads. You can now fix those muscle imbalances with these simple sets of exercises.
- Quick Toes: Simply run quickly in place as you put your weight forward on your feet.
- Duck Lunges: Hinge at the hips and crouch as you alternately move your right leg and left leg forward and back.
- Split Switches: Lunge with your right leg forward then jump as you hinge at the hips. Pause for a second and do the same step with your left leg forward.
5. Lower Body Workout
To ensure your legs’ strength and stability are in good condition, you have to work hard for it. Here’s a workout that’ll further help you with your leg goals as you work on your lower body. Also, this is one of the home workouts you can do in your room every morning. You just have one movement to complete this workout, but the volume of reps will make it challenging.
Bulgarian Split Squats: 10 sets of 10 reps per side in 10 minutes
6. Lunge Fest
If you need another lower-body workout that focuses on multiple muscle groups at once, you can try the Lunge Fest workout. Doing this will help you strengthen and improve the glutes, the quadriceps, and hamstrings. Your abdominal muscles, back muscles, and the calf muscles will serve as your stabilizers.
- Bear Crawls for agility
- Lateral Walking Lunges for dynamic stretching
- Forward/Reverse Lunge Combo for hip and core stability
Note: Do all the three exercises for as many reps as you can for 15 minutes, 5 minutes each exercise.
7. Descending Ladder Workout
What makes this workout challenging and interesting is it only requires two exercises. However, it has a descending ladder structure that will shake your legs to their core but in a good way. This is a leg day workout that will definitely help you improve your balance while giving you the strong, symmetrical legs you’ve always wanted.
- Lunges Part I: 20 sets for each side of the leg
- Wall Sit Part I: 20-30 seconds
- Lunges Part II: 20 sets for each side of the leg
- Wall Sit Part II: 20-30 seconds
8. Leg Workout for Mass
This one’s an easy leg day workout exercise you can do anytime at home. While some prefer doing this at the gym for an added challenge, you can always add this leg workout to your list of routines at home.
- Bodyweight Squats: Try doing 20 squats a day, two-three times a week and see the results.
- Lunges with Dumbbells: Try completing 10 lunges per leg.
- Split Leg V-Ups: Do an alternate of 5 sets of 8 reps on each side.
- Box Jumps: Try to do 3 sets of 10 reps at home.
9. Leg-Building Workout for Power
Aside from aiming for bigger legs, you must also focus on increasing your leg power by trying out the best leg-building workout there is. To help you say goodbye to your chicken legs, here are a few exercises you can try at the gym or at home:
- Lying Leg Curls: Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
- Standing Calf Raises: Try to finish 4 sets of 15 reps.
- Seated Leg Extensions: Finish 3 sets of 8 reps.
- Squat Jumps: Do 3 sets of 12 reps thrice a week.
Watch the video below and find out 4 more explosive leg exercises to add to your lower-body workout routine:
Final advice to have bigger and stronger legs? Keep moving, eat healthily, and take workout supplements. The more you engage your leg muscles, the faster you’ll achieve the bigger legs you’re aiming for. Incorporate these leg day workouts into your workout regimen and observe how effective they are in transforming those chicken legs into a powerful set of legs.
What is your go-to leg day workout routine? Tell us in the comments section below!